Nat and I get together on Tuesdays and have dinner. I went over to Nat's one Tuesday, and Nat had bought a rotisserie chicken and was steaming a whole pile of veggies because she knows I love both of these things. We came up with the following sauce using the contents of Nat's fridge, and it was a winner. We have this concoction quite often now, and Tuesdays featuring this meal have been, very lovingly, dubbed "Concoction Night".
Nat n' Robin are Saucy Stir Fry Sauce
- 2-3 T almond butter
- 1/4 cup hot salsa
- 2-3 T minced garlic
- 1 diced jalapeno
- 2-3 T gluten-free soy or tamari sauce
- 1 T coconut oil
- pinch each of sea salt and black pepper
- Saute 1 diced jalapeno and 2-3 T minced garlic in about 1 T coconut oil; add meat until cooked through (alternatively: if you have leftover meat or precooked meat, such as a rotisserie chicken, skip this step and cut it into bite sized pieces and add at the end with the sauce!), then veggies. Cover to steam.
- In a bowl, combine 2-3 T almond butter, 1/4 cup hot salsa, 2-3 T soy or tamari, pinch sea salt and black pepper.
- After veggies are steamed to your liking, add sauce until warmed through.
- Eat 'er up!
Nat also sent a quick update; for more on Nat, please feel free to click here.
January 7, 2014
I know I already told you that your site is amazing, but I think I need to tell you one more time. You’re amazing and so is this program :)
Captain’s log - I know that everyone has the tendency to say that over the holidays “it’s so difficult to stay on a healthy eating regime” and that’s probably because it’s true. Self-control has always been difficult for me when it comes to pastries and desserts. After gradually eliminating them from my diet over the span of 3 months, I found it no problem to deny these tasty goodies when they were out for everyone at Christmas parties and family functions. To my dismay, my self-control was only sound for 1 week. As soon as I had (even small “cheating” portions) of cookies and delicious Dutch holiday desserts, I found the discomfort that I was facing before I implemented Robin’s diet came back in full force (and perhaps even worse than the discomfort I was feeling before). I noticed after 2 days, my pants were not fitting properly, and I was severely bloated (to the point where I could have passed for being 3-4 months pregnant).
Now that the holidays are over, I have returned to my healthy eating regimen. I am finding my body is still flushing these allergens out, and my cravings for sugar and snacks are no longer present (yep! Back to normal!), making it easier to transition back into my regular 1-2 out of 3 meal routine Robin has helped me implement. This minor relapse has made me realize how irritated my body actually is to the allergens I’ve identified to myself.