Week Three: January 20-24
Week one - Salad-in-a-Jar Week.
Week two - Hearty Soup Week.
For week three, Caitlin and I alternated between two casserole recipes for a week of Mini Casserole make-ahead, packed lunches. This second recipe is a great way to use up leftover roast pork from the weekend.
For a side to our lunches, I packed a huge ziploc bag with chopped romaine lettuce, and filled a mason jar with 1-2 T tahini (you can use any nut butter), 1/3 cup olive oil, and 2 T balsamic vinegar. Add a fair bit of sea salt and black pepper and shake. You can make side salads for about a week to eat alongside your casserole for extra veggies!
Apple and salsa pork and veggie casserole
For four servings you'll need:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup green tomatillo salsa
- 2 cups of frozen or raw hearty vegetables (I used chopped red cabbage and whole frozen baby Brussels sprouts)
- 4 T unsweetened apple butter, or 1/2 diced apple
- 8 oz of cooked pork (I used leftovers from a slow roast pork leg, but you can also quickly broil pork chops)
- 4 raw eggs
- 1-2 t sea salt
- 8x8 casserole dish (for dinner) or 4 x 2 cup pyrex containers (for packed lunches)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Spoon into pyrex container(s).
- Bake until eggs are set, about 30 minutes. Serve and eat, or if packing lunches, allow to cool then store in fridge or freezer.