This is a variation on a soup I make frequently, GOOP soup (click the link for some background info. on the base recipe and a bit of a love letter to Gwyneth Paltrow, aka GOOP).
- Head of cauliflower including leaves, quartered with woody part of stem cut away
- 3-4 cups broth - I collect veggie scraps like the ends of onions and garlic skins, and people's turkey carcasses at holidays and stash them in the freezer - throw these things plus sea salt and pepper in a crockpot on low for 12 hours, strain into pyrex containers you can freeze, and voila! Almost more broth than you can stand!
- 1/2 T cracked black pepper
- 1 T old bay seasoning, or other fish seasoning
- sea salt to taste - I used about 1 T
- one small yellow onion, chopped in half
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- Large bunch dill
- 2 cups packed spring greens
- 4 T lemon juice
- 4 T olive oil
- 16 oz frozen mixed seafood or white fish (don't worry if it is raw, the broth and/or reheating will cook it)
- 4 x 1L wide-mouthed mason jars
Put everything except the dill, spring greens, and seafood in the crockpot/slowcooker and cook on low/medium for about 4 hours, or until tender. Turn off crockpot, add dill and spring greens, then use immersion/stick blender to blend all together. Divide seafood evenly into the four mason jars if you're going to take this as a pack lunch, or if you're making this for home just stir it in and let the crockpot run for an extra hour. This makes four nice, big servings - if you are divvying it up in jars, each will be about 3/4 full.
PSA: you could make this on the stovetop. You don't have to overly prep veggies or anything, just skin the onion and garlic.