It doesn't happen too often, but sometimes I have a pork roast or belly where I've peeled off the skin. It is a pretty hefty hunk of meat, and it would be a terrible shame to chuck it because it can be used to make the best snack in the world - fresh pork crackling! Crackling is a great substitute for potato or corn chips, and also packs a fair bit of protein.
Making these is so awesomely easy.
Fresh broiled pork crackling
- Pork skin
- Sea salt and pepper or all purpose seasoning (I like ones that have cumin and garlic)
- Pre-heat your broiler to high and place a rack about six inches below the top of the oven.
- Rub a fair bit of salt and pepper or seasoning into the pork skin.
- Put the pork on a baking sheet or in a cast iron skillet and put it into the oven.
- When the skin puffs up (as above) and the pork belly is crispy, it is ready to eat!
I love to use these like you would tortilla chips with dips like guacamole or salsa.