Soups with a base of cauliflower puree are one of my favourite things to throw together, as evidenced by the prevalence of this method in previous recipes:
- Coriander chutney GOOP soup with curry chicken meatballs
- Lemon dill seafood GOOP soup in the crockpot
- Roast cauliflower leek soup with the really good bacon
The pureed cauliflower provides a hearty enough broth that you feel full, and allows for a lot of variation depending on what meat, herbs, spices, and veggies you have kicking around. It was only a matter of time before I threw together all of my very favourite ingredients, because I keep a stockpile of them all. Combining my favourite soup (cauliflower "cream") with my favourite food (meatloaf), my favourite herb (tarragon), and my favourite vegetable (Brussels sprouts) means that the following soup is favourite^4, favourite x favourite x favourite x favourite. I really love it.
Hearty tarragon cauliflower soup with mini walnut meatloafs and Brussels sprouts
For five servings you'll need:
- 1 L broth
- 1 head of cauliflower including leaves, quartered and steamed (I steam it in a big glass bowl with a plate on top in the microwave - just turn on "high" for 15 minutes, no need to add water)
- Handful of fresh tarragon
- 1 t nutmeg
- 1 t cumin
- 1 T cracked black pepper
- sea salt to taste - I used about 1 Tbsp
- 10 mini walnut and herb meatloafs
- 3 cups frozen Brussels sprouts
- 5 x 1L wide-mouthed mason jars
- Combine broth, cauliflower, tarragon, nutmeg, cumin, pepper, and salt in a large container such as a crockpot insert. Using immersion blender, blend until smooth.
- Divide soup evenly among five mason jars if you're going to take this as a pack lunch and add about half a cup of sprouts and two meatloafs to each; or if you're making this for home, just stir it the meatloafs and sprouts.