It is easy to get stuck with a fridge full of good stuff - fruit, eggs, meat, veggies, and pickles - but still feel like there is nothing to eat because of a lack of ready-made sauces. Most of the ones you buy at the grocery store have an ingredient list a mile long and contain some less than stellar components. It took me quite awhile, but I eventually realized that there are a huge number of sauces and dressings that require virtually no preparation. The following is one of my favourite dressings and only dirties a spoon! If you're planning on having a few salads over the next few weeks, you can double or triple the recipe in a mason jar and stash it in the fridge for ready-use.
Delicious Go-To Creamy without Cream Salad Dressing
Makes 2-3 servings
- 2 T tahini or other nut butter
- 2 T mayonnaise
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 T balsamic vinegar
- generous pinch of sea salt
- Combine ingredients in jar and stir with a spoon.
Note: for salads, I like to combine raw leafy greens, pickled, and steamed vegetables. Add some meat or eggs and you've got a meal! Nifty combinations include:
- Mixed baby greens, sauerkraut, and steamed brussels sprouts
- Baby spinach, chopped green olives and capers, and thinly sliced steamed cabbage
- Baby spinach or greens, chopped pickled grape leaves, and steamed buttercup squash plus raw pumpkin seeds